Friday, May 7, 2010

The Sleepzzz Issuezzzz....

This entry is meant for my dear blog readers out there who could be MOMS , NEW MOMS OR MOM-TO-BEs....
I am a new mom myself but i just think i might benefit some of u guys out there w my own ways of putting my BABY to sleep and off to d LALA LAND...


From my experience , my baby slept v easily since newborn till now.
I should consider myself lucky that i don't need to carry him in my arms and bounce around to put him to sleep...
When he was just a newborn baby , he slept most of d time like most babies out there but he also wakes up v often for feeding.
i understand that this is normal for breastfed babies as most of my frens who start feeding their babies w formula milk did mention that their babies sleep longer at nite...so dat will mean more rest for d MOMs too...which is gd for them and i am certainly envious of that....cos i can't recall when was the last time i get to sleep for more than 4hrs continuously...
I wake up 2-4 times in one nite to feed n change my baby's nappies and its a normal routine already...

Aniway , back to how i managed to put my baby to sleep on his own , in his own cot/play yard is by a few measures.

1. Baby Body Massage
When u massage your baby , u r stimulating him and this , in turn , tires him out.Massage works well with working parents as they can have some special time w the baby after work.
As for myself , i massage BABY Q 2 times a day...once after d morning bath and once in d evening before he sleeps. My baby seemed v relaxed n will just lie down on his tummy quietly d moment i start massaging his body.

As u can c in d pic above...Q was getting ready for his body massage...
Btw i use d baby massage oil frm Bodyshop which has a nice scent n doesnt feel so greasy or sticky like most oils usually would.
Wen he is having a v gd sleep w sweet dreams...u can c him smiling while sleeping which is quite amusing...
2.Swaddling

This is a method which works well for my baby frm newborn to 2mths. Swaddle works to also calm a fussy baby who cries alot in d middle of d nite and this i learn frm many books , websites and even my old aunts n grandma. There r several ways to swaddle d baby and using a large swaddle cloth would be easier.u can easily learn how to do it frm Youtube but i personally 'master' d skill frm observing how my aunts did it.
Unless d baby is hungy or having colic, swaddle shud work to calm a fussy baby frm crying and immediately make him more settled n drift to sleep by himself as it worked that way for BABY Q.I guess babies feel more comfy n snuggly just like in d mommy's womb.
As most of u noe, i am into handicraft work like , making diaper cakes , decorating gifts etc...and wen i am bz doing my own stuff...i will just leave BABY Q on his rocker and rocked him till he fall asleep and a bouncer will work just as well.

Of course u can transfer d baby frm d rocker to his own cot once he is v deep asleep.
However if u want to train yr baby to be able to sleep in his cot by himself. U SHUDN'T put him in d cot wen he is asleep totally cos he will start crying n panic in a way when he wakes up cos he find himself suddenly awake in a different place which could possibly be scaring him. So perhaps u can transfer him to his cot after feeding /carrying /bouncing him ard when he is semi-awake...still quite conscious..It is normal for babies to cry when u put him down...but u shud just leave him be for a few mins cos eventually he will be tired n sleep...This is also a way for u to teach him or make him learn that he/she doesnt always get it his/her way whenever he cries

3.Familiar surroundings & Sound
Yr baby shud be familiar w d surroundings that he is always asleep in.
Things like cot mobiles , toys n perhaps a bedtime bear might work in helping d baby to understand n remember that these r d familiar things that he will c when he is going to sleep.
Familiar surroundings will make him feel more comfortable n secured
Baby Q's play yard comes w mobiles hanging and also a device w a few musical tunes n natural sounds like water running , waves etc to put him to sleep...
If u dun have these...then d mom or dad's voice singing CAN work too!!!


I also feel that perhaps my BABY is kind of a sleepy head cos its so easy for him to fall asleep wen i am out dining w frens or shopping cos he sleep well when being pushed ard in his buggy.And this is another fav pic of him...taken dis morning when he fell asleep while sitting up watching OKTO...
I didnt realise he was already fast asleep untill i c his head tilting to one side...hehe...

I hope my own personal tips of putting my baby to sleep might help some of u guys out there...But basically once u become a new mom u shud be ready to sacrifice yr BEAUTY SLEEP...
As how d wordings below in d pic suggests....


Till then
Adios

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home